Sunday, April 17, 2016

Memior of the Madsen Family Mom: March

March 2
Sport and Sis play "house" regularly.  Occasionally a friend is over and joins in.  Their roles change often.  Sometimes Sport is the Dad, brother, Grandpa, friendly neighborhood superhero, or once in a while, the family's pet gorilla.  Sissy has been the Mom, sister, Grandma, grocery store checker, teacher and princess.  But one thing never seems to change.  In all their games, the "real" Mom and Dad, who are occasionally the pretend Grandma and Grandpa, are always dead.   So very many times I've heard them say "Let's pretend our Mom and Dad died, and I'm such and such and you can be whatever".
So in their wildest imaginations, I'm dead to them.

March 8
Today I was looking over Colt's math homework.  One of his answers was just slightly off.  He was far.  So I changed it myself and then put it back in his backpack.  I'm not going to reflect on this incident.

March 13
I'm weaning Tag.  I always get sad when this part of my relationship with my children ends.  This year I'm particularly aware of babies and motherhood because we are surrounded by calving cows. Today I looked out the window at a cow and her calf and cried for a good 15 minutes over how lucky she was to have a newborn.

March 16
This morning I could not open the sliding door on the van.  I nearly ripped the handle off and tore my hair out in frustration.  Then Sport walks up, reaches his tiny finger in the door crack and flips the child-lock switch.  The door works again.  My five year old is the only one in the family that can operate the child-lock door.

March 20
Sissy doesn't take no for an answer.  Actually, I'm not sure if she is really persistent, or a little deaf.
Sissy: Can I have chocolate milk?
Me: Not right now.
Sissy: No, Mom, can I have chocolate milk?
Me: Maybe later.
Sissy: Mom, can I have chocolate milk?
Me: After lunch.
Sissy: No, can I have chocolate milk?
Me: Enough, don't ask again.
Sissy: No, Mom, can I have chocolate milk?
Me: No!
Sissy: Mom!! Can I have chocolate milk?
Me: Yes.  Get a cup.

March 23
Colt lost a tooth today and left special instructions for the Tooth Fairy.  His note read as follows:
"Here is my tooth. Can I have an Ipod or Kindle? I don't want to be greedy. Colt"
We might have some work to do there.

March 27
We were getting ready for church and Brandan, Dash and I were all standing in my bathroom.  I asked Dash to tell Sis to come get her hair combed.  He stood right where he was and yelled loud enough to turn his face red, "Sis, Mom needs you!!!"
Brandan turned to Dash and said, "Mom, could have done that."
An exasperated Dash said, "I know, right? I don't know why she didn't."


No comments:

Post a Comment