Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Dash Starts Kindergarten!

Dash has been in Kindergarten for a week now!  He was so excited for his first day he woke up and was dressed before 7 am.  Actually, he did better than I did.  I don’t think I really slept that night at all.  Dash mostly loves school.  He hates nap time and how he has to sit at a desk so much, but he loves p.e., which he has every morning.  In fact, his music teacher told me he asked all the kids to introduce themselves and say one thing they like to do.  Dash’s reply : “My name is Dash and I like to win races.”  Notice the distinction he made between participating in and winning races.  When I ask Dash how school went he always has lots of stories to tell about the other kids, few of which he can actually name, but he is still waiting to learn something.  He is getting concerned that so much time has passed and he still can’t read.  He did, however, get to ride the bus this last Monday, which has been a dream of his for over a year now.  I had a doctor’s appointment in Rapid City, so we set it up so that Dash could ride the bus over to the high school and meet Brandan after school.  Dash was thrilled and has been counting down the days until my next appointment and his next bus ride.
I’m glad the first day is over and we are all starting to settle into a routine, but we still really miss having Dash at home.  And I still like to stand at the fence in the morning and watch him playing on the playground before school starts.  And at lunch time, I still wonder if he wipes his face and chews with his mouth closed.  And when we pray, we still say an extra line or two that Dash will be okay and make good friends and choose the right.  But, I guess maybe that never goes away now, right? 
Dash's first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment