Sunday, September 2, 2012

And not to be out done...

If sending Dash to Kindergarten was hard on me, it was next to murder on Colt.  On the first day of school, Colt packed his backpack and dressed up special, all in the hopes that I would forget he wasn’t old enough to go to school and just send him anyway.  Colt was as sad as I was to watch Dash walked into his classroom and we had a quiet walk home mourning Dash’s absence.  He did, however, perk up a little throughout the day when he realized he got to pick out the movie to watch, the game to play and the cars he wanted to drive around.  I hadn’t realized how much influence Dash had on Colt, but for the first several days Colt kept correcting me while we played to explain to me that Dash didn’t allow certain things.  When I finally started convincing him that he could do things anyway he wanted now Dash wasn’t there, he got a little more excited.  And when I asked him if he wanted to play a game with me and he realized he could be any of the players he wanted, he said, “I kinda like being the oldest boy at home.”  And things have really gone up from there.  He likes the preschool we do together and is doing really well.  I’m sorry to say we hadn’t realized how intelligent he was before because Dash kept answering everything for him.  And the last couple days Colt has actually started playing with toys without me reminding him that he didn’t have to wait for Dash.
Colt posing for his pretend day of Kindergarten.


Sport is also making strides.  He is starting to say all sorts of words now, but he particularly loves to scream out “backpack!” while watching Dora, even when he is supposed to be saying things like, “map” or “abre”. 
Sport leaping from the bed onto a pile of pillows.

All the boys still enjoy our regular routines.
The boys and I reading stories before bedtime.

Other than all our school work, we have also been doing some gardening.  We have battled, and I mean battled, the deer all season.  Just as our green beans were starting to come on, the gate at the community garden was left open and most of our beans were eaten.  This is what we were able to salvage.
Our first four (and only four) pints of green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment