Sunday, August 9, 2015

Summer Employment

Summer is a time of relaxation, fun and WORK!

This year we decided to hire the boys to mow the grass at a dollar a week.  Brandan and I also volunteered them to cut the neighbors yard.  Then we felt bad so we pay them a dollar to mow her yard as well.  For those of you ready to quote child/labor laws, keep in mind that before my wage was raised to a quarter, I drove tractor for my dad for a pussy willow.
May 2015
Brandan instructs the boys in the finer arts of lawn mowing.

While the boys get lawn mowing lessons, Sissy plays with Jaron, the neighbor, on the trampoline.

May 2015
Tag is too cute for manual labor.
Earlier in the Spring, we planted seeds in a makeshift seed bed.  At the end of May we moved all the plants to the garden at the new house.  Brandan constructed a homemade green house out of plastic and trampoline frames.  Most of the plants made it into the green house, but some unlucky ones had to brave the elements.   After a month, the difference was incredible.
This little guy grew about 1/2 an inch in a month.

These guys fared much better!
Besides all the yard work, our other major source of work is obviously home building.  And for a nominal fee, or root beer, the kids will help out with that as well.
Pouring the footings.

A different angle.

Brandan also works for root beer.

The kids observing the progress.

Sissy stuck her hands in a puddle of spilled cement.

Colt helped smooth the concrete and his hands took a beating for his effort.
Sport finds his own odd jobs around the house.  One day I looked out the kitchen window to behold Sport standing on an outdoor table trimming branches off the tree with a handsaw.  At first I tried to pretend I hadn't noticed, then I recollected my duties as a mother and went out to take his picture.  Shortly after I snapped the shot below, Sport sprinted through the living room to the bathroom with a bloody finger.  He called out as he ran by - "Now I know why I'm not suppose to with the saw".  My plan all along...
Little lumberjack.
Along with yard work, house building, odd jobs and a chore chart, all the older kids take turns helping with baby Tag-a-long.  He is everyone's favorite job.
June 2015
Dash has been a big help with all his younger siblings this summer, but especially good with Tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment